Videos providing a simple and quick overview of health equity concepts and issues for environmental health officers and health protection leaders.
- Consider how you would define health equity as it relates to environmental public health practice. How might you explain it to a colleague?
- Can you think one example from your own practice in which societal barriers were preventing someone from complying with health regulations?
- Which of the social determinants of health identified in the video do you think is most likely to affect people you work with?
- Think of one example and consider how you might find out what barriers someone is facing? How might that awareness change the way you interact with someone?
- Think about each of the settings in which you work – how have social determinants of health impacted those settings?
- For each setting, how might consideration of those social determinants change the long-term outcomes of your responses?
- If you were to articulate a vision statement for health equity for your department or health authority, what would you say?
- What policies or frameworks could you leverage to place more emphasis on health equity?
- What opportunities for collaboration between might be possible? Can you start the conversation?
- Who are the vulnerable populations in your region? How could you find out more about their issues?
note that the Equity and EPH Clearinghouse page has been removed. Refer to this link instead for more
resources related to equity and environmental health.
- What is one way you could consider health equity in your usual work? How might you communicate differently, consider people's social situations, or get behind an equity champion in your organization?
- Which other professionals could you, as an EHO, work with when you suspect that social determinants are impacting your clients and your practice? Can you start the conversation?
- If you were to set a goal to do one new thing to support health equity, what would it be?