Some, but not all, liver diseases can be prevented. For example, hepatitis A and hepatitis B can be prevented with vaccines.
Other ways to decrease the risk of infectious liver disease include:
- Practicing good hygiene, such as washing hands well after using the restroom or changing diapers
- Drink bottled or chlorinated water when traveling internationally
- Avoiding sharing injection equipment
- Practicing safe sex.
- Avoiding the sharing of personal hygiene items, such as razors or nail clippers
- Avoiding toxic substances and excess alcohol consumption
- Using medications only as directed
- Using caution around industrial chemicals
- Eating a well balanced diet following the food guide pyramid
- Getting an injection of immune globulin after exposure to hepatitis A
- Using recommended safety precautions in healthcare and day care work