Follow these simple steps when you are planning to go for a COVID-19 test
Last updated: May 14, 2021
Visit our Where to get tested page to locate a test centre near you.
If you are going for a Mouth rinse and gargle test, consult the Mouth rinse and gargle section on our Types of tests
page for tips on how and when to practice the technique. This is particularly important for children.
Do not eat, drink (even water), chew gum, brush teeth, vape or smoke for at least one hour before the mouth rinse and gargle test. This might also affect your test results.
- Everyone going for a test should wear a mask. Children under two years old do not need to wear a mask.
- Make sure to have the date of birth and the Personal Health Number (if they have one) of anyone being tested.
- Follow the instructions from the health care provider at the site.
- Anyone who has been tested will need to self-isolate after their test. This means you should go directly home after the test and stay home from work or and do not see visitors. Visit our self-isolation page to learn more.
- Visit the test results page to learn how to get results by text, online or by phone. If you would like to receive a text message result as soon as it becomes available, sign up right away. Parents can use this service to receive results for their children.
- Find out what your COVID-19 test results mean.
- Monitor your health. If symptoms get worse or new symptoms develop, contact your health care provider or call 8-1-1.