We are a team of clinical and public health experts focused on health promotion, harm reduction, prevention and treatment services.
Our work is in the areas of tuberculosis (TB), sexually transmitted infections (STI), HIV, hepatitis B and C (HBV, HCV), mental illness and misuse of substances. Our division has over 150 staff, researchers and trainees at any given time.
We aim to:
- Provide culturally relevant, patient and family-centered community-based services, with continuous quality improvement to maintain the highest standards of care
- Meaningfully engage communities using strengths, resiliency, trauma informed and equity-based approaches
- Develop and scale-up innovative practices in public health and clinical care that make the best use of new evidence, tools, technologies and resources.
- Effect public health best practice through policy advice, knowledge products, and training
- Inform the planning, development and evaluation of programs, policies and health care services through surveillance, epidemiology, and research
- Integrate our programs and services across these disease areas, in recognition of their inter-relatedness, common determinants, and population overlap
Our focus is to serve the populations in BC most affected by these diseases, experiencing inequities in accessing services, and disadvantaged by the adverse social and structural factors that are ultimately responsible for facilitating these diseases.
We are a provincial resource, supporting and partnering with many different stakeholders including the Ministry of Health, Regional Health Authorities, First Nations Health Authority, Yukon Government, federal agencies, clinical and public health practitioners, academic centres and researchers, community organization, and the public.
Chee Mamuk – innovative and culturally appropriate education and practices in Aboriginal communities | program page | Around the Kitchen Table
Epidemiology & Surveillance – integrated surveillance systems across diseases, reporting on data, access to data, data analysis | program page
Harm Reduction Services – distribution of harm reduction and overdose response supplies, development of policies | program page | Toward the Heart
Hepatitis Services – development of resources, public health guidelines and knowledge products | program page | BC Hepatitis Testers Cohort | Hepatitis Education Canada
Mental Health & Substance Use – epidemiology of mental health and substance use in BC including the
Provincial Overdose Cohort and overdose-related interventions
Digital Public Health Services – design, develop implement and evaluate innovative public health services using digital technologies, including online sexual health services | Get Checked Online | Smart Sex Resource
TB Services – consulting services, management of active TB cases, digital solutions to TB care, directly observed therapy, provincial TB clinics, outreach clinics, field support | program page | TB Clinic
STI/HIV Services – integrated care, physician and nursing consultation, teaching for nurses, residents and fellows, provincial STI clinic, community sexual health services, STI/HIV prevention interventions |
STI Clinic | Anonymous HIV testing | Point of Care (Rapid) HIV testing
Research Program - Supports researchers and develops research capacity across Clinical Prevention Services