- Laboratory confirmation of infection with or without symptoms:
- Culture isolation of a Salmonella spp. from an appropriate clinical specimen.
- Laboratory evidence of infection with or without symptoms:
- Detection of Salmonella spp. by PCR from an appropriate clinical specimen.
- Clinical illness in a person who is epidemiologically linked to a confirmed case.
Definition of clinical illness
Clinical illness is characterized by diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, and sometimes vomiting. Asymptomatic infections may occur, and the organism may cause extra-intestinal infections.
Note: This may include Typhie and Paratyphi. Typhoid and Paratyphoid fever have separate definitions as well.