For adults, adolescents & children ≥ 18 months:
- detection of HIV antibody by screening test (i.e., ELISA or point of care HIV test) followed by positive confirmatory test (i.e., Western blot, Immunoblot or nucleic acid amplification test); OR
- detection of HIV nucleic acid (RNA or DNA; detectable viral load); OR
- detection of p24 antigen with confirmation by neutralization assay; OR
- isolation of HIV in culture.
For children < 18 months:
- detection of HIV DNA by nucleic acid amplification testing on two separate samples collected at different times .
- For determination of the timing for HIV testing for clinical diagnosis of HIV infection in children < 18 months of age, please refer to the appropriate clinical guidelines.
For more information on the case definition of HIV, please refer to the Technical Appendix of the annual HIV/AIDS surveillance reports.