Skip to main content

Death cap mushrooms make fall appearance in urban areas

BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is alerting British Columbians to keep an eye out for poisonous mushrooms this fall as we spend more time outside.
Use this image as both the current Page Image and for News listings


​Photo: Paul Kroeger

​The poisonous death cap mushroom has been spotted in urban centres and the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is alerting British Columbians to keep an eye out for poisonous mushrooms, especially around young children and pets as we head into the long weekend. 

Calls to the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre (DPIC) for mushroom exposures in 2020 have been on par with previous years; however, there was a spike in June with 67 calls for mushroom exposures, double what was seen in previous years. Mushrooms typically emerge during wetter months and June had significant rainfall. With fall’s cooler and wetter weather, mushrooms can now be found in both urban areas and forests. 

The death cap mushroom, which has the Latin name Amanita phalloides, is the most poisonous mushroom in the world and is easily mistaken for edible mushrooms like the paddy straw mushroom, found in Asia. Immature death caps can also look like edible puff balls. It is most often found in urban areas in B.C. rather than the natural forest. 

A 2008 survey by the Vancouver Mycological Society found the death cap growing in many urban sites with more than 100 locations in the Vancouver area now known. They have also been reported in the Fraser Valley and on the Island. In 2016, a toddler died after eating death cap on Vancouver Island. Pets are also susceptible to death caps. 

The death cap contains toxins that damage the liver and kidney. Within six to 12 hours, people experience:
  • Cramping
  • Abdominal pain 
  • Vomiting 
  • Watery diarrhea
  • Dehydration
After up to 24 hours, symptoms may disappear and you may feel fine for up to 72 hours. Symptoms of liver and kidney damage start to appear 3 to 6 days after mushroom ingestion.

This year, 36 per cent of mushroom exposure calls to the Drug and Poison Information Centre involved children five years and younger, compared with 60-67 per cent in past years. 

"Typically around two thirds of our mushroom calls involve children 5 and under, so parents and caregivers need to be mindful of what's on the ground where their kids are playing. But this year we have noticed an increase in mushroom calls involving adults," said Raymond Li, pharmacist with DPIC.

There are many other varieties of wild mushrooms that are less toxic than death caps but can also cause severe illness. People are reminded to be cautious when out foraging or gathering mushrooms. 

“Mushroom enthusiasts have noticed many mushrooms just beginning to emerge after a dry early fall and a slow start to the usual autumn mushroom season,” said mycologist Paul Kroeger. “Foragers should remember one basic rule: never eat anything that hasn't been identified with certainty. A mistake can have serious or even deadly consequences."

If you suspect mushroom poisoning, call poison control immediately at 1-800-567-8911. 

Report death cap mushrooms growing in your neighbourhood. Note the location, take photographs and make a report to the Invasive Species of Concern (BC government website).



 
 

 

 

SOURCE: Death cap mushrooms make fall appearance in urban areas ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Centre for Disease Control. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2020 Provincial Health Services Authority.