British Columbians are advised to check hand sanitizer products made by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico as the products may contain methanol. The products are sold under various brand names.
Methanol is toxic if ingested and can be irritating if used on the skin.
The warning follows an advisory issued last week by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
. Since the advisory went out, the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre has received four calls from people in British Columbia who reported having products from the U.S. recall list. There have been no reports in B.C. of injury or toxicity from exposure to these products.
If you have hand sanitizers manufactured by this company, the BC Centre for Disease Control recommends disposing of the products. It is best if the liquid or gel is poured out of the container before disposing to prevent any accidental exposures for animals or people who might come across the product in the trash.
Methanol ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, and is potentially life threatening. Anyone who has ingested methanol should seek immediate medical attention. People most at risk of ingesting hand sanitizer include children, people with dementia, and people using it as a substitute for alcohol.
If you think someone has swallowed any amount of hand sanitizer, call your local poison control centre. For the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre, call 1-800-567-8911.
List of recalled products from the FDA
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)