Why Amanita phallodies is dangerous?
In October 2016 a young boy died after eating a poisonous mushroom that was picked in downtown Victoria, BC. This species of Amanita mushroom, also called the Death Cap mushroom, is in our city and urban environment. It is not known to be found growing wild in the forests. This mushroom was imported on the roots of trees planted in boulevards in some cities like Victoria and Vancouver. We do not know if it is also in other areas of the province. This mushroom looks alike to Asian straw mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea), and other common Asian varieties of edible Amanita species, such as Amanita princeps. To learn more about what common Pacific Northwest mushrooms look like, edible and deadly, visit this Field Guide [first link in list]
IF YOU SUSPECT YOU HAVE EATEN THE DEATH CAP MUSHROOM GO TO EMERGENCY AND CALL THE DRUG AND POISON INFORMATION CENTRE IMMEDIATELY AT 1-800-567-8911 – 24 hours and services in 150 languages