Most x-ray equipment that is sold or imported to Canada must comply with the Federal Radiation Emitting Devices (RED) Regulations. These regulations specify standards of design, construction, functioning and warning signs for most general types of x-ray equipment. Non-medical x-ray settings such as for industrial, research and security purposes include:
- Baggage Inspection X-ray Device
- Analytical X-ray equipment
- Non-medical human imaging systems (security screening of humans, etc)
- Accelerators for security (scanning truck loads, etc)
- Accelerators for treatment of consumer goods (sterilization, processing, etc)
WorkSafeBC’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Regulation contains specific regulations designed to protect workers from excessive radiation exposure. The Canada Labour Code, which applies only to those employed under federal jurisdiction (about 10% of the Canadian workforce), has regulations related to worker radiation exposure.
For non-medical x-ray systems registration issues please contact WorkSafeBC at: