This information will help you feed your baby safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Wash your hands before and after holding your baby, breastfeeding/preparing infant formula and feeding your baby
- Wear a mask while you have symptoms (e.g., cough, sore throat, fever, sneezing). Masks are not recommended for children under two years old. For more information see our Masks page.
- Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces often
- Wash and disinfect all infant feeding supplies carefully after each use. Learn more here.
- Stay connected with support persons while practicing physical distancing and avoid others who are unwell
- Limit the number of people who feed your baby
Information for families who are breastfeeding and provide expressed breast milk
Currently, health experts have not found COVID-19 in human milk. If you are breastfeeding or feeding your child expressed milk, continue to do so as often as possible.
You can find more information on how to safely breastfeed your baby and/or young child during COVID-19 here
Information for families who use infant formula
For families who have made an informed decision to use infant formula, continue to safely prepare and store infant formula as described on the product label.
You can find more information on how to safely feed your baby during COVID-19 if you are using or thinking about using infant formula here
Reach out to local health care providers for any urgent concerns, or call 8-1-1 to speak with a nurse or dietitian at HealthLinkBC